Wednesday 8 August 2012

MY COMMENT...



I'm an armchair observer of the world in many ways. My information on what goes on nationally or internationally is through Newspapers and News programming. If I am not watching BBC News 24, I am watching Al Jazeera UK. I read the 'I' (only 20p for a quality newspaper)! and Independent; the Metro and London Standard, because they are free. I also find out what may be going on more locally, through them.

When I was younger I used to march: Gay Rights; Women's Rights; Disabled Rights; Anti Poll Tax; Anti the first invasion of Iraq; Mayday; Good Friday; Whit Walks etc. Now I sit on my couch and scream at the television instead! (Although Margaret Thatcher would have me screaming at the telly when I was in my 20's and marching)! lol

Recently, I set up this blog and had no idea where it might lead. My motivation was that I could not sell certain shell casings on ebay and it gave me a vehicle to offer them to the market. Some how it has gone beyond that. 

I get to educate myself with poetry, art and current affairs. And it is my 'cut and paste' of current affairs that I really want to deal with.

By the choice of articles that I have uploaded, I have implicitly criticised the governments of Belarus, Nazi Germany, India and Pakistan etc. I have left out many more, including the government of Britain. And I have never said where I stood.

Society is corrupt from the top down, not in reverse!

The Suffragettes; the Jarrow Marchers; Gandhi; Martin Luther King;
and many more, stood up to the status quo, for which they were abused physically, denied any form of human right and imprisoned. They stood against the all powerful forces of vested interest that surrounded them  without concern for their well being. These were the movements of the common person.

I have been following the issue of the 'Pussy Riot' invasion of the Cathedral in Moscow. I don't agree with the tactic any more than I agreed with Peter Tatchell and Outrage storming either Westminster or Cantebury Cathedral's for publicity. But it was not me that stood either in front of Robert Mugabee's henchmen (and beaten to a pulp) to try to arrest him as a perpetrator of human rights abuses, as a subject of Her Majesty's Realm, or to to face the thugs of Putin's Russia at a Gay Pride March in Moscow as a gay man (and beaten to a pulp). I am an armchair observer!


I think that the 'Pussy Riot' force us to challenge the status quo.

I sit here in London seeing the rights of the many being sacrificed to the vested interest of the few. Bring the Pussy Riot here!!

The Prime Minster wants to get rid of the NHS and the Welfare State. Fine, if you are a 'Posh boy Millionaire' from a position of wealth and privilege. 

I have had to take time off work because of illness and could not afford to take the medication prescribed (thanks Maggy Thatcher)! It did not help.

Cameron and his Bullingdon Posh Boys do not want the working classes to be able to access good healthcare. They want it to be given to Private Enterprise (as in America), rather than the NHS. 

WWII rid the Bullingdon Posh Boys of so many working class people that the NHS was viable. Now that they can't make us the Canon Fodder of the 1st & 2nd World War, the Millionaires of Cameron and the rest of the millionaire parasites that govern us, let us die of natural causes without aid!

As subject or citizen, we suffer the ill-conceived policies of politians that could never understand our lives.

We sit in our arm chairs and talk to our televisions!





Pussy Riot; Nelson Mandela; and the heroes that make the papers are, maybe, our heroes.  I must admit that if you add a few like Martin Luther King, Gandhi etc they are mine, but we miss the point of the 'Cannon Fodder' of the wars perpetrated by our 'Posh Boys'. We are a community of individuals that make difference to the lives of those around us.

I am an armchair observer, but life still surrounds me. The man that came to the door and paid for his .99 purchase with a £5 note saying 'everyone has to make a living mate'. Every day I see these little acts of humanity. Person to person. It is not about who governs us. It is about who and what we are.

We are and make the society that we belong to.

We mould it and make it in our own image and likeness.

Sometimes our convictions say that we need to stand against the ills we see around us and take the consequences. 

God bless the Pussy Riot for their stand against orthodoxy and the status quo. You stand in the shoes of many great men and women. 

I still sit in my armchair and observe.

I salute you!


Russian punk band Pussy Riot on trial for cathedral protest

Members of the Russian protest group Pussy Riot say that they are only guilty of an "ethical misdemeanour" for their February stunt in Moscow's Christ the Saviour cathedral where they called on the Virgin Mary to push then-Prime Minister Vladimir Putin out.

Maria Alyokhina, 24, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, and Yekaterina Samutsevich, 29, were jailed in late February and face up to seven years in prison if convicted of hooliganism motivated by religious hatred or hostility.
Ms Tolokonnikova admitted that she and other members could be seen as being guilty of ethical transgressions, but she said their actions did not meet the threshold of criminal acts.
"Today we will give the reaction to the indictment against us. We've prepared it, have written it. We need to explain why we do not agree, why we do not plead guilty," she said.
The plight of the three women, two of whom have young children, has made headlines in the West.
Governments and rights groups, as well as musicians such as Sting and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, have expressed concern about the trial, reflecting doubts that Mr Putin – who is serving his third presidential term and could be in power until 2024 – will become more tolerant of dissenting voices

No comments:

Post a Comment