Wednesday 8 October 2014

Comment on Alan Henning

I was brought up in an industrial village built by Henry Ford in Manchester. It later became dissected from the City of Salford by the Manchester Ship Canal. As a child I would take my dog, a whippet, around the factories at the weekend to hunt rabbits. We gave many pensioners as well as our own family, meat for the pot for sustenance.

I would get the buss, as a child, into Eccles. On a Saturday we would go to the ABC Cinema for the 'Children of The ABC' matinees. Childrens films that kept us entertained for a few hours, and gave our parents a few hours reprieve. Afterwards I would go around the market and maybe walk up toward Eccles Cross.

I now live in London. Before I moved here, I worked in a office in Salford just of Chapel Street.

Did I meet Alan Henning in a pub? We are about the same age, were we at the same parties? Did he take me home from a pub in his taxi?

Salford, for those that do not know is a separate city from Manchester, the division being the Manchester Ship Canal. Both Cities have their own identity and both are fiercely proud.

We are both peoples who have struggled through the decline of the major industries and the decline of Salford Docks (where my father worked).

We are fiercely proud of our heritage. We fight tooth and nail for our families, communities and our rights. No one cares for us in Government so we do what we have to do.

My community as a child was a community comprised of immigrants. Irish (my heritage), English and Asian. My friends as a child were, at least 50% Indian and Pakistani. It reflected who our neighbours were. And I think this is similar to where Alan Henning was coming from.

Alan has been referred to as 'one of our own.'

This title has no reference to race, creed, colour or gender. We just look after  'our own' who ever they may be.

Alan included within this the children of Syria. He died for it.

As a Mancunian (Person from Manchester) I salute my Salfordian neighbour for taking our tradition of welcoming the stranger, to an extreme. We are not normally called on to put our lives on the line to welcome the stranger. He did it and died for it.

I cannot imagine what Alans family are going through. I hope that the proactive interventions of the Muslim community across the world, will give them some comfort (as the hero of so many peoples).

When I was in Catholic school as a teenager, I was asked to do an essay on whom I thought should be 'saints.' I chose Martin Luther King and Mahatma Ghandi. If I was given the same choice now, I would include ALAN HENNING.

Rest well my friend. In your death you have created a new world for all of us to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment