Saturday 21 July 2012

POEM OF THE WEEK: THE BATTLEFIELD, SYDNEY OSWALD



This week I am posting ‘The Battlefield’ by Sydney Oswald as my poem of the week, however, before I do so, I would just like to point out that I am not a great reader or have much understanding of poetry as a literary (or any other) art form. In bringing you the poem of the week, I am trying to be wider read in poetry and to expand my own knowledge. At the moment I am reading ‘Lads, Love Poetry of the Trenches’ by Martin Taylor, published by Duckworth. This, I believe will be informing my choice of poetry for the next few weeks or so, and is expanding my reading of War Poetry beyond the realms of the obvious candidates of Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon, Rupert Brooke etc.

The names of some of these poets may be better known to some than to others, but I will shamelessly plagiarise the biographies from the above book, (and hope that they will forgive my impertinence)! as I attempt to inform myself, as well as for readers who are as unfamiliar with this genre as I am.


The Battlefield

Around no fire the soldiers sleep to-night.
But lie a-wearied on the ice-bound field,
With cloaks wrapt round their sleeping forms, to shield
Them from the northern winds. Ere comes the light
Of morn brave men must arm, stern foes to fight.
The sentry stands his limbs with cold congealed;
His head a-nod with sleep; he cannot yield,
Though sleep and snow in deadly force unite.

Amongst the sleepers lies the Boy awake,
And wide-eyed plans brave glories that transcend
The deeds of heroes dead; then dreams o’ertake
His tired-out brain, and lofty fancies blend
To one grand theme, and through all barriers break
To guard from hurt his faithful sleeping friend.

(Sydney Oswald)

All images From 'Queen and Country' by 
Steve McQueen


Sydney Oswald (1880-1926)
Pseudonym of Sydney Frederick McIllree Lomer, leading light of the Uranian circle. Friend of Edmund John and E.F. Benson. Professional soldier August
1899-July 1919, serving with 1st Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers then 1st Battalion, King’s Royal Rifle Corps. At outbreak of war adjutant to 6th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters. Went to France in February 1915; invalided home with pneumonia in March 1915. Promoted from Captain to Major in September 1915. Attached to Egyptian Army March 1916-August 1917. Promoted to Temorary Lieutenant-Colonel in November 1917. Awarded OBE in 1919. War Poems appear in anthology Soldier Poets: Songs of the Fighting Men (1916).

No comments:

Post a Comment