Wednesday 21 November 2012

Poem of the Week: Dicky Boy an' Me by 'A Tommy'


Olive Mudie-Cooke: In an Ambulance VAD Lighting a Cigarette for a Patient 1917-19

DICKY BOY AN' ME

You'd never find a thicker pair o' mates than Dick an' me.
Of course we've 'as our scraps-just once or twice.
We've bin on share an' share alike for many bloomin' months. 
We shared our blankets (an' we shared our lice).

We 'unted Fritz in couples. we was called "Them one-eye twins', 
We were reckoned pretty 'ot between the lines.
We used to put the wind up Fritz, but'ow was'e to know
Of the little shivers runnin' down our spines?

And once we went a-courtin' a decent bit of stuff;
She said my eyes were blue and 'is was brown,
But it really didn't matter, 'cos all four of them was black
When we'd finished knockin' one another down.

We was out one night a-raidin', and ole Dicky Boy got 'it,
An' 'e went down with a gaspin' sort o' 'Blast!'
I gets 'im on my shoulders and I starts to make for 'ome.
And the next I see is-funnels an' a mast!

I thought I must be balmy, and I takes a look around,
When some bloke says, 'Drink this and try to sleep.'
But 'longside 'o me was Dicky Boy, all white and like a child,
And me 'eart right up to 'eaven seemed to leap.

Oh, you can keep your Lizzies and your Nellies and your Sals-
They wouldn't  be no good for Dick an' me.
'E's lost 'is leg' I've lost me arm, but we don't give a damn,
'Cos between us we've a proper kit, you see!

And when we wants a smoke o' nights up gets a pair of legs.
'E's got two 'ands to fill the pipes, you see.
We've got our little pension and we've got our little fire,
An' I've got Dick an' Dicky Boy's Got me!

'A TOMMY'






No comments:

Post a Comment